Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chapter 6

The movie was good. It was only as we were leaving that I noticed how pretty Rachel looked. She had on a short jeanskirt and a pale pink sweater. She was wearing a pair of leather boots. I sighed. Happily, neither of our parents were here and we realized that the movie ended a half hour earlier than expected. We sat down on a bench and were silent, just enjoying being near each other. Rachel leaned against me and put her head on my shoulder. Happiness seemed to burst forth from me. The sunshine beat down on my back. I shut my eyes. I felt as if I would be content to sit like this forever. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders.

God knows how long we'd been sitting like that when I felt a tap on my arm. I opened one eye and there was Jeff.

"Hey loverboy, I hate to break it up, but really!" Jeff shouted.

Rachel's parents were pulling up in their car and I whispered good-bye in her ears. She smiled and got up. She walked over to her car and as she was about to get in, yelled, "I'll call you!" I waved to her and walked with Jeff to our car.

It was mom who was driving this time.

"Did you have a good time?" she asked. Then, without waiting for a reply, went on "Suzannah called. She asked if you could come over as soon as you get back."

"Oh, okay. It really doesn't matter because I was going to go over there anyway," I said.

The drive back seemed to take forever. I had a thousand questions to ask Suzannah.

The second the car pulled into the driveway, I jumped out and ran over to Suzannah's. When I got there, her mom told me she was up in her room. I raced up the stairs and down the hall. Hearing the racket I was making, Suzannah looked up. Her eyes sparkled and her face lit up when she saw me.

"So, how was it?!?" she demanded.

"It was great!" I exclaimed and settled down to tell Suzannah every detail. I told her about how great the movie was, how Rachel and I sat on the bench, and about some of the stories Rachel told me about Jenny and Jerry. Suzannah laughed at the memories. Then I began to ask her about Rachel, and if I should try to kiss her or not.

Suzannah frowned. She wasn't sure but said she would ask for me. I spent the rest of the day at Suzannah's house. We played Monopoly and later let her younger sister, Diana, play Clue with us.

It was a great Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, the hilarity!