Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chapter 3

I followed Suzannah through several sets of double doors, down the hall, and up a flight of stairs. She turned to the first door on her right and went in. I could see her deep, thoughtful eyes soak up every detail in the room. The boys, it seemed were sitting on one side of the room, the girls on the other. In a quick glance at me, Suzannah told me that she thought it would be best if I sat with the boys. I recognized a reddish-blondish haired kid from the bus and sat down next to him. The kid turned to me and said his name was Dan. He pointed out several other kids, then proceded to ignore me by starting a conversation with an oriental boy named Arnold. It was about the Cubs. I happened to be a die-hard Cubs fan, so I joined in. We talked for awhile when Dan said that if I really wanted to talk to a die-hard Cub fan, I should talk to Suzannah. She was practically a Cub historian. In a way, I wasn't surprised. Suzannah did seem to be different from most girls. I peeked over at the other side of the room. Suzannah was listening to our conversation. She seemed to be watching Arnold. I made a mental note to myself to ask her about it.

Just then the bell rang. School has officially started. We had to fill out various sheets and people were comparing schedules and in the general confusion, I forgot my question.

It turned out that Suzannah and I were in a lot of the same classes. I was really glad because over anyone else at that school, Suzannah fascinated me the most.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you called him an 'oriental' kid...oh how times have changed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so cringed when I had to type that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, the hilarity!