Monday, October 19, 2009

Chapter 15

The assault was all the kids in school talked about when vacation ended. They asked us what exactly happened, were were going to go to court and testify, etc. We were beginning to get sick of the attention. Suzannah remained considerably quiety about the subject and began to get irritated after awhile.

Since she didn't really want to talk about the assault, Suzannah and I talked about other things. One day out of the clear blue sky, I asked how Rachel was.

Suzannah looked taken aback. She blinked a few times and frowned. "You know, I'm not sure. I haven't heard from her in a long time. Why?"

"I don't know, just curious, I guess," I answered.

"You don't like her again, do you?"

"No, not really. Don't worry, OK?"

Suzannah nodded. "OK."

School wore on. In math class, someone stole Suzannah's protractor and she needed one for class the next Monday.

"Want to go with me to get a protractor?" Suzannah asked me on Saturday.

"Sorry, I can't/ I'm going to the movies with Arnold," I replied.

"Oh, OK. Have a good time," Suzannah said.

"Thanks."

It was cold out, but Suzannah planned on walking the one block to Woolworth. AS Arnold's mom drove us to the move, we saw her walking by and waved to her. Suzannah waved back happily.

Arnold and I got back at around 3:30. We were talking and laughing as we made our way up my driveway. It was exceptionally warm for February and the sun shone brightly and melted the snow and ice. The day itself was so cheerful, I thought nothing could break through my good mood.

As I opened the kitchen door, I noticed Mom slowly hanging up the phone. She turned toward us. It was the expression on her face that stopped me dead in my tracks. Her face was deathly white and tears were beginning to overflow her eyes and run down her face like a river after a large storm. We didn't move and she just stood there, tears pouring down her pale face.

Finally, after what seemed to be centuries, did Mom speak.

"That was Mrs. Rawlings," she began, and tone of the voice Mom used when she said that scared me. "She wanted to know if we could pick Diana up from her friend's house to take her to the hospital."

"The hospital? Why?" I had a feeling I didn't want to know.

Ma's voice cracked. "Because Suzannah was run over by a car."

"No." I whispered it. Then I shook my head. "No, not Suzannah. It can't be. She's too careful when she crosses the street."

Mom gathered her car keys.

"A boy named Scott was pushing her around, and he shoved her out into the street - I guess..." Mom's voice trailed off and in a very tine, strained one she finished her sentence. "I guess he didn't see the car coming." She put on her coat and gym shoes. "Are you boys going to come to the hospital with Diana and me?"

Arnold and I instantaneously answered "Yes."

We went out to the car and drove off to get Diana. I noticed some police lines marking off a restricted area.

"Oh, God! This must be where it happened!" I thought to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, the hilarity!