Monday, October 19, 2009

Chapter 18

Someone stole Scott's books and trashed them. They also spray painted "murderer" on his locker. I was right. He didn't show up. How he was going to explain this one was beyond me. Suzannah didn't have a lot of friends, but she was basically more or less liked by quite a few people. I never really realized that until the accident happened.

School, though, didn't change much. I never really hung around with her there. She had her crowd, I had mine. I visited her in the hospital daily and told Suzannah what was going on. She really appreciated it. I also brought her her homework so she could keep up.

The week went by fast and Suzannah was going to get out of the hospital on Sunday. She told me to come by her house.

It seemed like Saturday lasted forever. I went to their house at the time Suzannah told me, 2:30, but no one was home. By five, I was worried.

"Where could they be?" I asked my mom.

"I don't know," she frowned with her reply.

At six, we drove by the hospital. Her room was empty. We stopped the head nurse on he floor to ask what time the Rawlings left.

The nurse looked upset. "The Rawlings girl never made it out of the hospital. Her left lung collapsed last night. She's still in surgery."

Mom and I rushed to the waiting room where the rest of Suzannah's family was. Rachel was there and so was Suzannah's friend Janette. I had always liked Janette, so I sat next to her.

"What are her chances?" I whispered to Janette.

"Small," she whispered back.

We stayed for an hour and then left because I had to go to school the next day. When I got home, I called Arnold.

"How's Suzannah?" he asked with hope.

"Arnold, she never left the hospital. Last night her left lung collapsed and she's still in surgery. There's not a lot of chance for her..." my voice trailed off.

"No. That's not funny, John!"

"Arnold, I'm not kidding. I would not kid about something like that."

"I know, I'm sorry. I just don't want it to be true."

I knew exactly how Arnold felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, the hilarity!