Friday, October 16, 2009

Chapter 10*

The Friday before Christmas Vacation began, my uncle in Mississippi died. My parents were going to have to go to help out.

"Am I going?" I asked mom.

She gasped. "Oh no! I've been so preoccupied that I forgot to find somewhere for you to stay! Jeff will stay at his friend Bob's, but what about you?" Thoughtfully, she clucked her tongue. "I hate to do this to them, but call Arnold and see if you can stay there."

I shook my head. "Arnold's going away to visit some relatives."

Mom sighed. "I have no choice but to call the Rawlings.. Maybe you can sleep on their couch or something."

She left the living room and went into the kitchen.

A few minutes later Mom walked back into the living room. "Well, it's all set. The Rawlings said you could stay in the spare bedroom. Our flight leaves at 8:00, so you'll go there at 6:30. It's 4:30 right now, so go and pack. Oh, and, take this, just in case." She handed me a key for the house and $50.

Somberly, I went up to my room. I wondered what it would be life to live with Suzannah for a few days. Dad said it would be three or four. I threw some clothes, a toothbrush, my brush, and a couple of other things in an overnight bag.

Sadly, I looked around my room. I thought about how much I liked Uncle Joe. Recently, Aunt Laraine and he moved to Mississippi from here. I thought about poor Aunt Laraine, and how she'd cry. Her soft, blond curls would frame her red face. I thought about how glad I was that I didn't have to go to the funeral. How I didn't want to have to see crying adults.

Breaking free from my thoughts, I looked at my digital alarm clock. 6:31. It was time to leave for Suzannah's.

*Not only did the original manuscript have two chapter fours, but there are also two chapter tens. Ooops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, the hilarity!